Popular Posts

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Why Anything divided by Zero gives INFINITY? And more importantly why am I doing this 3.30 in the morning>

Yeh heh. Oops its 3.20 in the night. But what the hell. Tomorrow's sunday. Ok I need to get some sleep but before that there's another "blabber" I wanna share it y'all.

Ok this one's for all those guys who were pretty unfortunate to study in a class whose primary intention was to get more marks (sorry guys you people just missed out on so much just like me). Its been less than a year since I completely my 12 grade and I discovered something important (according to my standards at least). We have all wondered why on earth is the answer infinity whenever the question involves anything divided by zero. Pray O people! Pray! For I have the solution!!

Consider a problem uber-simple one like 2/0.The answer we geeks (I am proud to call myself that!) always have blurting out in these kinds of problems is INFINITY!! Lets look into it. What does zero mean anyways? It isn't a "normal" number. It has several properties by which its pretty easy to explain why does zero have weird characteristics. The most fundamental in this case is that it has no physical extension what so evar. I mean if you plot it onto a co-ordinate plane then you will see that it is on the intersection of the axes. Unlike other numbers which have a physical entity zero has only a dot i.e, you can't really say that it has any physical space associated with it.To the o.O 'ed folks- When we plot 2 or 3 on the graph we count that many units of distance from zero; this "distance" is what I mean by physical extension. But zero on the other hand has no such thing.

Thats the beautuful Infinity. I know right?
So by logic if you divide 2 by "nothing" you'll get infinite values.(A lot of people who haven't done limits/calculus won't- come visit the blog when you learn or better just mail me). This is obviously drawn on the same analogy derivatives work on- dividing a space or in this case a line into infinite things that when you add you get the original value. So zero dividing any value works on the same principle. Zero being physically meaningless can be be assumed as some sort of an invisible ninja who working at the speed of light cuts the 2 into infinite pieces. =)

So get it? It's pretty easy to understand not that difficult at all. You just have to visualize things. In a funny way so that it'll stick to your head for a longer time. If you have any problem even understanding please commentaire? Oui? (IDK why do I have so much fascination with french o.O)

Ok I gotta hit the bed its pretty late in the night and I have loads of things that I have planned for doing. (I don't even do half of them but still I like to be an optimist!)

Bonne nuit =)


P.S- I'll soon upload the cartoons and other pictures that I made regarding this "pathbreaking discovery" (lol) I made.

No comments:

Post a Comment